Public Meeting Minutes: September 10, 2018 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting

Download

View Options:

Show Everything
Hide Everything

September 10, 2018 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting Minutes

September 10, 2018 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting
1. OPENING PROCEDURES
Rationale: 

COPY OF OPEN MEETINGS ACT: The Board of Education makes available at least one current copy of the Open Meetings Act posted in the meeting room at a location accessible to members of the public. The Act is posted on the south wall of the meeting room.

ORDER OF AGENDA ITEMS: The Arlington Board of Education reserves the right to adjust the order of items on this agenda.

 

1.1. Call Meeting to Order
Discussion:  Matt O'Daniel Called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.  
1.2. Roll Call
1.3. Pledge of Allegiance
1.4. Approval of Regular Meeting Agenda
Rationale: 

 

Action(s):
Motion to approve the regular meeting agenda as presented Passed with a motion by Jessica Scheer and a second by John Neary.
  • John Neary: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Bruce Scheer: Yea
  • Jessica Scheer: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Yea
  • Shanon Willmott: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
2. Public Hearing
2.1. Discuss, Consider and Receive input from the Public on the District's 2018-2019 Budget.
Discussion:  Matt O'Daniel discussed the budget presentation from last meeting indicating that the levy will be slightly lower than was conveyed at that time because the valuation came in slightly higher.   Lynn Johnson assisted in the explanation. The 2018-19 total tax request is $7,224,981.74 with a total tax rate of $1.055954 compared to total tax request of $1.060585 for 2017-18. 
Patron input - Kathy Rhea inquired about the $1,200,000 million budgeted in depreciation and asked if this included the $500,000 transfer from board action this month.  Mrs. Johnson explained that the $1,200,000 in the budget is not the same as the amount of dollars in the fund.  
2.2. Discuss, Consider and Receive Input from the Public on the 2018-2019 Tax Request.
Rationale: 

General Fund Property Tax Request:    $5,842,688.83
Property Tax Rate                            $.853927

Bond Fund Tax Request                    $615,151.51
Property Tax Rate                            $.089906

QCPUF Fund Property Tax Request      $350,054.54
Property Tax Rate                            $.051162

Special Building Fund Tax Request        $417,086.86
Property Tax Rate                            $.060959


               TOTAL TAX REQUEST:      $7,224,981.74
               TOTAL TAX RATE:           $1.055954 (compared to 17-18 of $1.060585)

 

                 

Discussion:  Matt O'Daniel closed the hearing at 7:10.
3. WELCOME TO GUESTS AND PUBLIC FORUM
Rationale: 

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO SPEAK DURING PUBLIC FORUM: 

Getting Started: When it is your turn to speak during the public forum portion of the agenda, please come forward, sign your name and address on the sign-in sheet and state your name to the Board of Education. 

Time Limit: You may speak only one time and must limit comments to 5 minutes or less.  

Personnel or Student Topic: If you are planning to speak about a personnel or student matter involving an individual, please understand that our policies require that such concerns initially be directed to the administration for consideration. Board members will generally not respond to any questions you ask or comments you make about individual staff members or students. You are cautioned that slanderous comments are not protected just because they are made at a board meeting.  

General Rules: Please remember that this is a meeting of the Board of Education held in public for conducting the business of the Board of Education. Disruptions, offensive language, personal attacks and hostile conduct will not be tolerated.

Discussion:  Matt O'Daniel first requested the board support to open the rental of Bell Creek for discussion by Jay Anderson during that agenda item. The board approved.

Patron address:
Kathy Rhea shared her views on the board and the administration going to Lincoln to lobby as well as her view that the board needs to spend money towards designated wrestling space.

Brett Wilkins discussed APS spending priorities and reiterated that wrestling should be a priority. He will get a copy of the notes he read aloud to Matt O'Daniel for board records.

Merrit Gilmore read a letter written by parents regarding concerns of a need for wrestling space and the safety of students.  She will share this letter with Matt O'Daniel for board records.
4. CURRICULUM/INSTRUCTION REPORTS
4.1. Technology Report
Discussion:  Kurt Sanders reviewed the technology report and logic of going with a cart-based model at APS rather than one-to-one and the cost saving benefits of this model.  
Recognition was given to Mr. Sanders and the work he has done to keep our technology department current.
5. PRINCIPALS’ REPORTS
5.1. Mr. Pfingsten's Report
Discussion:  Mr. Pfingsten reported that next Wednesday there are speakers coming regarding parenting the i-generation.  They will be here during the day at school and in the evening for parents.
Financial aid planning night is coming up for seniors and parents.
He reported that in reviewing the MAP growth chart, APS is above the national norm.
5.2. Mrs. Morgan's Report
Discussion:  Mrs. Morgan expressed appreciation to the elementary PTO for assistance in providing the speaker next week as shared by Mr. Pfingsten.
The Fun Run to raise money for the new playground is this coming Friday, September 14.  Fundraising is currently at 80% of the $12,000 goal.
Testing is completed and instructional goals will be based on this.
5.3. Mr. Shada's Report
Discussion:  Mr. Shada shared that there are a lot of upcoming events.  A tailgate will be at each home football game this year.  Mr. Shada shared a new system of gratitude implemented this year that uses "Energy Bus Tickets" that staff can write to encourage or thank a co-worker.  He extended the opportunity for board members to participate in this team of encouraging each other.  He will consider different options for printed activities calendar at the request of Luanne Sundberg.
6. SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT
6.1. Review NRCSA Membership Guide
Discussion:  Mrs. Johnson reviewed the NRCSA membership guide.
6.2. Selling Bus 2000
Discussion:  There was a discussion on options to sell Bus 2000, including online auction, independent sale, or using highway frontage by the bus barn advertising the bus for sale.  Action on selling the bus to be taken next month.
6.3. Discuss Facility Planning Board Workshop
Rationale:  Date:  Wednesday, September 26, 2018
 
Discussion:  There was discussion on the facilities workshop scheduled for Wednesday, September 26.  Discussion included finalizing the agenda and format of the workshop with Dr. Dlugosh, objectives for the workshop, and establishing the time frame of 6 - 8 p.m. for the workshop to be held at the school with the room to be determined.
7. COMMITTEE AND REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS
7.1. Americanism/Education Evaluation
7.2. Buildings and Grounds Committee
7.3. Finance Committee
7.4. Negotiations Committee
7.5. Professional Development Sharing
Discussion:   The board discussed and decided to attend the regional NASB meeting in Fremont.
8. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
Discussion:  None
9. NEW BUSINESS
9.1. Discuss, Consider, and Take Necessary Action to approve the 2018-2019 district budget.
Action(s):
Motion to approve the 2018-2019 District Budgets as listed: General Fund $9,201,563.00; Depreciation Fund $1,239,924.42; Employee Benefit Fund $122,758.32; Activities Fund $449,876.27; School Nutrition Fund $333,787.06; Bond Fund $667,676.50; Special Building Fund $509,274.80; Qualified Capital Purpose Undertaking $485,469.26 Passed with a motion by John Neary and a second by Matt O'Daniel.
  • John Neary: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Bruce Scheer: Yea
  • Jessica Scheer: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Yea
  • Shanon Willmott: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
9.2. Discuss, Consider, and Take Necessary Action to approve the 2018-2018 tax request resolution.
Rationale: 

2018-2019 TAX REQUEST

Funds                                2018-2019 Tax Rate
General:          
$5,842,688.83                    $0.853927

Bond Series 2018 Refunding:                                              
$615,151.51                       $0.089906

Qualified Capitol Purpose  Undertaking Fund:               
$350,054.54                       $0.051162

Special Building Fund:    
$417,086.86                       $0.060959

 

Action(s):
Motion to approve the resolution which identifies the final tax request for the 2018-2019 school year as presented Passed with a motion by Bruce Scheer and a second by Matt O'Daniel.
  • John Neary: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Bruce Scheer: Yea
  • Jessica Scheer: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Yea
  • Shanon Willmott: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
9.3. Discuss and Consider parent and athlete responsibility as part of the swimming coop with Fremont Public Schools.
Discussion:  Board members discussed and agreed that parents should incur costs of swimsuits and goggles, but APS will pay the fees to keep this similar to other activities offered here.  
9.4. Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to approve a MOU with Washington County Sheriff's Office for a full-time resource officer starting January 2019.
Action(s):
Motion to approve entering a contract with Washington County Sheriff's office for a SRO not to exceed $12,500 for second semester of 2018-19 Passed with a motion by Matt O'Daniel and a second by Jessica Scheer.
  • John Neary: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Bruce Scheer: Yea
  • Jessica Scheer: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Yea
  • Shanon Willmott: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
Discussion:  Mrs. Johnson spoke that Memorandum of Understanding is necessary whether we move forward with a full-time SRO or not.  The board discussed the monetary costs versus the safety of our students, staff, and community to have a full-time SRO.  
9.5. Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to rent or lease offices at the bus barn to Washington County.
Discussion:  Jay Anderson, Washington County Board of Supervisors Member, addressed the board and expressed interest in the possibility of utilizing the office space in the bus barn facility to house the Emergency Manager and possibly the Washington County Sheriff that serves the village.  Mr. Anderson indicated that no monetary costs are to be incurred by the school for renovating the property for their use.  After discussion, the board agreed to have the superintendent draft an agreement for this purpose after gathering more information.
9.6. Discuss and Consider sponsorship of scoreboard at baseball field.
Rationale:  Scoreboard:  $10,956.75
Ad Panels:    $2,000
Install:          $5,216.86
TOTAL         $18,173.61
 
Discussion:  Baseball representatives have two donors who will contribute a total of $10,000 towards a new scoreboard.  An additional $8,200 is required to complete the install; the board discussed the pros and cons of moving forward at this time.  This will be added to next month's agenda for official action and Mrs. Johnson was asked to draft a sponsorship agreement.
9.7. Discuss and Consider Policy 3580 Insufficient Funds.
Discussion:  Mrs. Johnson presented policy 3580 as presented by our lawyers.  This will be at the next month's meeting for a second and final reading.
9.8. Discuss and Review Policies 3170-3571.
Discussion:  Policies were reviewed with no changes.
10. CONSENT AGENDA
10.1. Minutes of the Previous Board Meeting(s): August 13, 2018 Regular Board Meeting Minutes and August 22, 2018 Special Board Meeting Minutes
Action(s):
Pass. Passed with a motion by Matt O'Daniel and a second by Jessica Scheer.
  • John Neary: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Bruce Scheer: Yea
  • Jessica Scheer: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Yea
  • Shanon Willmott: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
10.2. Monthly Financial Reports
10.3. Claims (Check Register)
10.4. Special Fund Transfers
Rationale:  General Fund to Employee Benefit Fund   $116,400.00
General Fund to Depreciation Fund   $500,000.00         
10.5. Hot Lunch Report
10.6. Activity Report
11. EXECUTIVE SESSION
Rationale: 

The Arlington Board of Education reserves the right to go into Closed/Executive Session at any time in accordance with Section 84-1410. A copy of the Open Meetings Act is posted in the board room for review by the public.

12. ACTION ON EXECUTIVE SESSION ITEMS
13. ADJOURNMENT
Discussion:  Mr O'Daniel adjourned the meeting at 9:11 p.m.
<< Back to the Public Page for Arlington Public Schools