Public Meeting Minutes: October 8, 2018 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting

Download

View Options:

Show Everything
Hide Everything

October 8, 2018 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting Minutes

October 8, 2018 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting
1. OPENING PROCEDURES
Rationale: 

COPY OF OPEN MEETINGS ACT: The Board of Education makes available at least one current copy of the Open Meetings Act posted in the meeting room at a location accessible to members of the public. The Act is posted on the south wall of the meeting room.

ORDER OF AGENDA ITEMS: The Arlington Board of Education reserves the right to adjust the order of items on this agenda.

 

1.1. Call Meeting to Order
1.2. Roll Call
Discussion:  Also present Athletic Director/Assistant Principal James Shada, Middle/High School Principal Aaron Pfingsten, Elementary Principal Jacqueline Morgan, and Superintendent Lynn Johnson
1.3. Pledge of Allegiance
1.4. Approval of Regular Meeting Agenda
Rationale: 

 

Action(s):
Motion to approve the regular meeting agenda as presented Passed with a motion by Jessica Scheer and a second by Bruce Scheer.
  • John Neary: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Bruce Scheer: Yea
  • Jessica Scheer: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Yea
  • Shanon Willmott: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
2. WELCOME TO GUESTS AND PUBLIC FORUM
Rationale: 

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO SPEAK DURING PUBLIC FORUM: 

Getting Started: When it is your turn to speak during the public forum portion of the agenda, please come forward, sign your name and address on the sign-in sheet and state your name to the Board of Education. 

Time Limit: You may speak only one time and must limit comments to 5 minutes or less.  

Personnel or Student Topic: If you are planning to speak about a personnel or student matter involving an individual, please understand that our policies require that such concerns initially be directed to the administration for consideration. Board members will generally not respond to any questions you ask or comments you make about individual staff members or students. You are cautioned that slanderous comments are not protected just because they are made at a board meeting.  

General Rules: Please remember that this is a meeting of the Board of Education held in public for conducting the business of the Board of Education. Disruptions, offensive language, personal attacks and hostile conduct will not be tolerated.

Discussion:  Kathy Rhea addressed the board noting that the district enrolled seven kindergarten students who were option enrolled so instead of building additional classrooms the district should address option enrollment. 
3. CURRICULUM/INSTRUCTION REPORTS
3.1. Special Education Report
Discussion:  Ann Jamison highlighted her written reported noting the goals for special education and the increased enrollment in special education.  She noted that we do not accept option students into this program so the growth is a result of resident enrollment and a trend across the state and nation for increased participation.  When asked if they are getting enough support she shared that we have more students that need one-on-one support so paraprofessionals are critical to the success of the program.  It was noted that improved screening has resulted in earlier and better identification. 
3.2. Title I Report
Discussion:  Jen Christensen highlighted her written report using a slideshow presentation. She discussed the number of participants being served in Title 1 and the research behind the curriculum being utilized. She was asked and answered a question regarding 'day books' describing the system as leveled and responsive to interest levels and noted that last year we purchased the red system to cover 3rd and 4th grade.
 
4. PRINCIPALS’ REPORTS
4.1. Mr. Pfingsten's Report
Discussion:  Aaron Pfingsten highlighted his written report about the third annual college day, junior meetings, reading support for seventh grade, upcoming PTC, food drive, a variety of co-curricular opportunities involving Educators Rising, FBLA - FLC conference, and FFA land and dairy judging, and entry of a student in the Artsonia Artist of the Week contest. 
4.2. Mrs. Morgan's Report
Discussion:  Jacque Morgan reviewed her written report which included an update on the fun run, service focus of the student council, first grade field trip to Val's Pumpkin Patch, 5th grade outdoor education, 6th grade going to a conservation summit, and the great participation on Grandparent's Day.
4.3. Mr. Shada's Report
Discussion:  James Shada reviewed his written report which included the pink out events being held, highlighted homecoming activities, Arlington STRIV, and safety practices in athletics. 
5. SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT
5.1. NASB Update
Discussion:  Superintendent Johnson gave the board the information on the NASB update.
5.2. Staffing Update
Rationale:  Classified Staff:
Resignations: 
Tonya Dowling, Elementary Paraeducator
Brooke Carter, Elementary Paraeducator

Hires:
Amanda Villwok
Discussion:  Superintendent Johnson presented the resignations of Tonya Dowling and Brooke Carter and the hiring of Amanda Villwok.
6. COMMITTEE AND REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS
6.1. Americanism/Education Evaluation
6.2. Buildings and Grounds Committee
6.3. Finance Committee
6.4. Negotiations Committee
Rationale:  Prepare for Negotiations with AEA. 
Timeframe to consider:
November 1 - Negotiations must begin
February 8 - If there is no agreement, parties submit to resolution officer

 
Discussion:  Negotiations will meet to set a meeting after the board meeting tonight.
6.5. Professional Development Sharing
Rationale:  1. Select a board member to represent us at the NASB Delegate Assembly.  Delegate Assembly will take place at 8:00 AM, the Friday morning of the State Education Conference, November 16th, at the La Vista Conference Center. 

2.  Register for NASB State Education Conference.

3.  Register for NASB Facilities & Construction Workshop, Tuesday, October 30 in Kearney.

 
4.  Regional Meeting, Wednesday October 17

 
Discussion:  Superintendent Johnson reminded and informed the board that they need to decide if anyone is wanting to serve as a delegate for the NASB delegate assembly and that registration is approaching for NASB state conference.  All board members but Shannon Willmot are registered to attend the regional workshop in October.  Facilities and Construction workshop is Tuesday, October 30 in Kearney.
7. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
7.1. Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to approve the purchase of a V blade attachment for the pickup to be used for more efficient snow removal.
Rationale:  Recommending accepting the quote from ProTech that allows us to replace the blade on the pick-up to improve the efficiency for which we can achieve snow removal.  
Action(s):
Motion to approve the quote from ProTech for $6,590 for a Boss 8'2"VXT Balde which includes deflector and installation Failed with a motion by Matt O'Daniel and a second by John Neary.
  • John Neary: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Bruce Scheer: Nay
  • Jessica Scheer: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Nay
  • Shanon Willmott: Nay
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
Discussion:  Superintendent Johnson brought two quotes for a V blade for the consideration by the board.  It is suggested that the brush on the Bobcat is turned in for a blade with a credit and that we purchase a V blade for the truck which together would address snow removal needs.  She noted that in October there was a request for an ATV vehicle with a blade to address snow removal and to fulfill a need for an ATV but that this approach is more affordable. Bruce Scheer suggested that it may be possible to find a demo blade cheaper.  Luanne Sundberg and Shanon Willmott supported looking for a cheaper blade and for obtaining bids to outsource snow removal. Mrs. Johnson mentioned that outsourcing snow removal has been difficult in the past due to a lack of interest and a high cost which is why we have been doing it in house for the past few years. Some board members suggested that this seems like a reasonable request based on their experience with snow removal.  
7.2. Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to approve the private sale of Bus 2000 and the existing blade attachment for the pick-up.
Rationale:  Recommending the private sale of Bus 2000 (as is) for $3,500/OBO and use the highway frontage to advertise the sale. 

Recommending the private sale of the current blade attachment for the pickup for $1000/OBO and use the highway frontage to advertise the sale.  
Action(s):
Motion to approve the sale of Bus 2000. Passed with a motion by Jessica Scheer and a second by Shanon Willmott.
  • John Neary: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Bruce Scheer: Yea
  • Jessica Scheer: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Yea
  • Shanon Willmott: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
7.3. Discuss and Consider the process and timeline for obtaining the services of design specialists to assist with facility planning.
Discussion:  Superintendent Johnson gave the board a copy of a draft RFO which details the process and timeline to obtain a design specialist to assist with facility planning. It was commonly agreed by the board that the draft RFQ is acceptable and that the longer timeline is good.  The board intends to further discuss the interview element of the process. Superintendent Johnson will determine the list of firms invited to participate in the RFQ based upon information she obtains on the firms. 
7.4. Discuss, Consider, and Take Necessary Action to amend the School Fee Schedule.
8. NEW BUSINESS
8.1. Discuss, Consider, and Take Necessary Action to amend the School Fee Schedule.
Rationale:  The Student Fee Schedule is being amended to capture the swimming fees that result from adding this cooperative program. 
Discussion:  This is being amended to include fees for swimming. 
8.2. Discuss and Consider the signers on the various bank accounts
Rationale:  The compliance auditor for the bank has asked for board minutes indicating that the board has reviewed who are signers on the various accounts. 
 
Discussion:  The board reviewed the signers on the various bank accounts and stated that the minutes should reflect that they were reviewed with no noted changes.  Activity fund account signers are Superintendent Lynn Johnson, Board President Matt O'Daniel, Assistant Principal/AD James Shada; General Fund, Bond & Building Fund signers are Superintendent Lynn Johnson and Board President Matt O'Daniel, Hot Lunch Account, Flex 125 Plan, Sweep Account, Fund Raising Account signer is Superintendent Lynn Johnson.  
8.3. Discuss, Consider and Review the Superintendent Evaluation.
Rationale: 

Proposed time frame:

Monday, November 5 - 
Self Evaluation document made available to board members.

Board members have received copy of evaluation document to complete independently.

Monday, November 26 - 
Due date for return of independent evaluation documents to Matt.

Thursday, December 6 - 
Matt plans to have summary of category ratings back to the board members.

Monday, December 10 - 
Board develops consensus statements in each category.

Board meets with Superintendent to discuss the evaluation.

 
Discussion:  Superintendent Johnson will complete self-evaluation based on policy.  Board members will compile their evaluations based on the timelines presented.
8.4. Discuss and Consider Policy 3131 Procurement Plan-School Food Authorities.
Discussion:  Superintendent Johnson presented updated law with new thresholds.  The board will revisit this next month.
8.5. Discuss and Review Policies 4001-4012.
Discussion:  Policies were reviewed and no changes were suggested.
9. CONSENT AGENDA
Action(s):
Motion to approve the consent agenda as presented Passed with a motion by Matt O'Daniel and a second by Jessica Scheer.
  • John Neary: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Bruce Scheer: Yea
  • Jessica Scheer: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Yea
  • Shanon Willmott: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
9.1. Minutes of the Previous Board Meeting(s): September 10, 2018 Regular Meeting Minutes; September 26, 2018 Workshop Minutes
9.2. Monthly Financial Reports
Discussion:  Matt O'Daniel reviewed the check register.  Superintendent Johnson indicated that with change in system and personnel formats for reports may change and that account balances for general fund was not available at this time. 
9.3. Claims (Check Register)
9.4. Special Fund Transfers
Rationale: 
 
Discussion:  General Fund to Activity Fund     $10,000.00
Depreciation Fund    McKinnis, Inc.        Roof Repairs      $64,286.00
9.5. Hot Lunch Report
9.6. Activity Report
9.7. Hiring of elementary paraprofessional Amanda Villwok
10. EXECUTIVE SESSION
Rationale: 

The Arlington Board of Education reserves the right to go into Closed/Executive Session at any time in accordance with Section 84-1410. A copy of the Open Meetings Act is posted in the board room for review by the public.

11. ACTION ON EXECUTIVE SESSION ITEMS
12. ADJOURNMENT
<< Back to the Public Page for Arlington Public Schools