Public Meeting Minutes: June 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting

Download

View Options:

Show Everything
Hide Everything

June 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting Minutes

June 9, 2014 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting
1. OPENING PROCEDURES
Rationale: 

COPY OF OPEN MEETINGS ACT: The Board of Education makes available at least one current copy of the Open Meetings Act posted in the meeting room at a location accessible to members of the public. The Act is posted on the south wall of the meeting room.

ORDER OF AGENDA ITEMS: The Arlington Board of Education reserves the right to adjust the order of items on this agenda.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO SPEAK DURING PUBLIC FORUM: 

Getting Started: When it is your turn to speak during the public forum portion of the agenda, please come forward, sign your name and address on the sign-in sheet and state your name to the Board of Education. 

Time Limit: You may speak only one time and must limit comments to 5 minutes or less.  

Personnel or Student Topic: If you are planning to speak about a personnel or student matter involving an individual, please understand that our policies require that such concerns initially be directed to the administration for consideration. Board members will generally not respond to any questions you ask or comments you make about individual staff members or students. You are cautioned that slanderous comments are not protected just because they are made at a board meeting.  

General Rules: Please remember that this is a meeting of the Board of Education held in public for conducting the business of the Board of Education. Offensive language, personal attacks and hostile conduct will not be tolerated.

1.1. Call Meeting to Order
Discussion:  President Dwyer called meeting to order at 7:07 PM. All proceedings hereafter shown were taken while this meeting was open to the public.
1.2. Roll Call
Discussion:  Absences were excused.
1.3. Pledge of Allegiance
1.4. Approval of Regular Meeting Agenda
Rationale: 

 

Action(s):
Motion to approve the regular meeting agenda as presented Passed with a motion by Teri O'Flaherty and a second by Greg Sampson.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Absent
  • Shanon Willmott: Absent
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
2. WELCOME TO GUESTS AND PUBLIC FORUM
Discussion:  Kathy Rhea addressed the board and shared three points. Mrs. Rhea expressed that she was appreciative of the bands presence at the Memorial Service but felt that their dress/appearance was lacking. She questioned how there was room for daycare at the school when she understood that a year ago it was expressed to a patron that there was no room and she also expressed that she felt $500 rent was too low. She also asked that the board keep in mind that her valuation increased 20% again this year and that the board take that into consideration when setting the levy.
3. CONSENT AGENDA
Action(s):
Motion to approve the consent agenda as presented Passed with a motion by Matt O'Daniel and a second by Teri O'Flaherty.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Absent
  • Shanon Willmott: Absent
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
3.1. Minutes of the Previous Board Meeting(s)
3.2. Monthly Financial Reports
3.3. Claims (Check Register)
3.4. Special Fund Transfers
Rationale:  Employee Benefit Fund  BSBC Health Insurance     $7,237.60
3.5. Hot Lunch Report
3.6. Activity Report
4. CURRICULUM/INSTRUCTION REPORTS
Discussion:  None
5. REVIEW OF ANNUAL DISTRICT PLAN
6. PRINCIPALS’ REPORTS
Discussion:  Mr. Fritson shared the process that was utilized as staff met this summer to evaluate and adopt language arts curriculum materials. Mr. Farber shared results from the senior exit survey and student failure data. He also recognized Mrs. Koger and FBLA students for their upcoming representation at National FBLA. A brief discussion ensued about possible reasons for improved student performance and reduced failures. Mr. Farber noted new programs as well as TCT time as reasons for improved student performance. There was a brief discussion about gathering post graduate survey information and the value of that information to making informed decisions.
7. SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT
Rationale:  7.1       Enrollment Figures 
Discussion:  Mrs. Johnson shared that the enrollment has stayed steady this year with about 20 students more than last year. Option enrollment has decreased slightly and much of this due to a number of option students moving into the district.
8. COMMITTEE AND REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS
8.1. Americanism/Education Evaluation
Discussion:  No report
8.2. Buildings and Grounds Committee
Discussion:  This committee has been working on the lease for before/after school and daycare. The committee talked about upgrading security with additional perimeter video survellance and other targeted summer projects to include roofs and HVAC.
8.3. Finance Committee
Discussion:  Mr. Dwyer reported that the committee continues to work through the budget for next year and looking for ways to finance the priority items from the buildings and grounds summative needs list. These needs present the board with difficult decisions. Mr. O'Daniel shared that there are projects to be tackled that are not optional and that maintaining facilities and grounds that we can be proud of is a continuous and costly endeavor.
8.4. Negotiations Committee
Discussion:  Mr. Sampson shared that negotiations with the para educator union are finalized for 2014-2015.
8.5. NASB Legislative Representative
Discussion:  Mr. Dwyer shared information that he has gleaned from various meetings and workshops he has attended. He shared that Pete Rickets vision to combine educational goals and workplace goals will impact our business. Micheal has been asked to attend a meeting with UNO and looks at all the pieces of education and the business community. He encouraged the board to take part of LB1103 which is Senator Sullivans visioning bill.
8.6. Professional Development Sharing
Discussion:  Superintendent Johnson shared that further information has been released on how to enact the superintendent transparency act. Greg Sampson shared that his job takes him into other school buildings and most recently into Elkhorn Schools. He shared that he sees the commitment other districts make in keeping facilities viable and attractive and believes that we are doing the right things in regard to those issues at Arlington. He shared that simple upkeep and updates make a big difference and that it matters to parents and community. Mrs. Johnson shared that facilities do make a difference in a world where families are school shopping.
9. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
9.1. Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to enter into a lease agreement to provide classroom space to an outside agency who would use the space to run a before and after school program and a day care program for children 3-4 years of age.
Action(s):
I move to approve entering an agreement(s) to lease classroom space to Catey Ferdinand to run before and after school program and a day care program as presented. Passed with a motion by Micheal Dwyer and a second by Teri O'Flaherty.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Absent
  • Shanon Willmott: Absent
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
Discussion:  Mrs. Johnson shared background information about the board's progress to get to the point that we are at today in considering leasing space for before/after and daycare programming. Mr. Dwyer shared that the districts priority is to provide a service while ensuring that the program is not funded by taxpayers. It was expressed by board members that the lease agreement, which was designed with lawyer assistance, is exhaustive. There is no cleaning or daily obligations on the part of the district. This is a one year contract. Both Mr. O'Daniel and Mrs. O'Flaherty shared that they have had multiple conversations with patrons and non-district persons who are very interested and excited about the opportunity.
9.2. Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to adopt Policy 6121 Curriculum Review Cycle on second reading.
Action(s):
I move to adopt Policy 6121 Curriculum Review Cycle on second reading as presented. Passed with a motion by Greg Sampson and a second by Matt O'Daniel.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Absent
  • Shanon Willmott: Absent
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
9.3. Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to amend Policy 5004 Students – Part-time Enrollment on second reading.
Action(s):
I move to adopt Policy 5004 Students – Part-time Enrollment on second reading as presented. Passed with a motion by Teri O'Flaherty and a second by Greg Sampson.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Absent
  • Shanon Willmott: Absent
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
10. NEW BUSINESS
10.1. Discuss, consider, and take necessary action to adopt policy 5416 Student Fees
Rationale: 

a.         Review the amount of money collected from students pursuant to the student fees policy of the district for the 2014-2015 school year.

b.         Hold a public hearing to discuss, consider and receive input on the proposed student fees policy.  The public will be given the opportunity to present information and opinions on the proposed student fees policy.

c.         Discuss, consider and take necessary action to adopt Policy 5416 Student Fees.  

Action(s):
I move to adopted the amended Policy 5416 Student Fees for the 2014-2015 school year, inclusive of Appendix ‘1’, as presented. Passed with a motion by Greg Sampson and a second by Matt O'Daniel.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Absent
  • Shanon Willmott: Absent
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
Discussion:  Mr. Farber shared that the only change to student fees was an increase in woods class driven by increased cost of wood products. President Dwyer opened a hearing at 7:57 p.m. to take public input on the policy and closed the hearing at 7:57 p.m. after receiving no public input.
10.2. Discuss, consider and take necessary action to reaffirm Parental Involvement Policy
Rationale:  a.  Hold a public hearing to discuss, consider and receive input on the proposed parental involvement policy.  The public will be given the opportunity to present information and opinions on a proposed parental involvement policy. 

b.  Discuss, consider and take necessary action to reaffirm the parental involvement policy.   
 
Action(s):
I move to reaffirm Policy 6400 Parent/Community Involvement in Schools for the 2014-2015 school year as presented. Passed with a motion by Teri O'Flaherty and a second by Greg Sampson.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Absent
  • Shanon Willmott: Absent
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
Discussion:  Superintendent Johnson recommended to change to the policy. President Dwyer opened a public hearing at 7:59 p.m. to receive public comment and closed the hearing at 7:59 p.m. having received no public input.
10.3. Discuss, Consider and Review Policy 5415 Anti-Bullying.
Discussion:  State law requires boards to review this policy annually. With no changes to the policy there was no discussion.
10.4. Discuss and Consider the 2013-2014 Annual Activities Report and 2014-2015 Athletic Budget.
Discussion:  Activties report - Mr. Shada shared a summary report on activities and athletics. It was noted that participation rates for boys in grades 9-12 was slightly lower than previous year. There was discussion about trying to capture data on number of students not involved in any extra curricular events. Mr. Shada also shared the athletic budget for 2014-2015. It was noted that athletic revenues exceeded expenditures for 2013-2014 for the first time in a few years. Increased gate revenue for football, basketball and having sponsors served to increase revenues. Mr. Shada expressed concern that the budget is tight and doesn't take into account replacement of equipment and larger items such as wrestling mats, track equipment, lights at stadium, regulations requiring helmet replacement, etc. Maintaining safety for participants is a key concern. Mr. O'Daniel encouraged Mr. Shada to continue to look for creative ways to generate revenue and the question arose as to how other school districts financially support athletics. The board asked Mr. Shada to create a detailed list of those bigger items for their continued consideration.
10.5. Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to approve the 2014-2015 elementary and secondary student/parent/guardian handbook.
Action(s):
I move to approve the 2014-2015 elementary and secondary student/parent/guardian handbook as presented. Passed with a motion by Greg Sampson and a second by Micheal Dwyer.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Absent
  • Shanon Willmott: Absent
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
Discussion:  Mr. Fritson reported that the changes to the elementary handbook were primarily in organization but not in content. Mr. Farber reported that minor changes were made to the secondary handbook to reflect current practices and/or policy.
10.6. Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to approve the 2014-2015 substitute teacher pay rate.
Rationale: 
 
 
 
 
Recommending $130 Daily Rate and $140 Long Term
Action(s):
I move to approve the substitute teacher pay for the 2014-2015 school year at $130.00 per day (Tier I-Short Term) and $140.00 per day (Tier II-Long Term) as presented. Passed with a motion by Matt O'Daniel and a second by Teri O'Flaherty.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Absent
  • Shanon Willmott: Absent
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
Discussion:  Superintendent Johnson shared that the daily rate for substitute teachers is currently $125 and is recommending an increase to $130 based on review of what area schools are paying.
10.7. Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to approve the purchase and installation of projectors in elementary classrooms.
Rationale:  Projected cost of the project:
Projectors $769/ea x 13 = $9997
Mounting kits $149 x 13 = $1937
Screens  $150 x 3 = $450
Installation (est) = $4000
                            = $16,384
Action(s):
I move to approve purchasing and installing projector systems in elementary classrooms. Passed with a motion by Micheal Dwyer and a second by Matt O'Daniel.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Absent
  • Shanon Willmott: Absent
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
Discussion:  The building and grounds committee has identified this as a priority item for summer projects. The plan is to eventually have mounted projection systems in all classrooms. This first phase which includes elementary classrooms will encompass about 1/3 of the district classrooms.
10.8. Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to approve the negotiated para-educator master agreement for 2014-2015 and 2015-2016.
Action(s):
I move to approve the negotiated para-educator master agreement for 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 as presented. Passed with a motion by Greg Sampson and a second by Teri O'Flaherty.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Absent
  • Shanon Willmott: Absent
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
Discussion:  Committee chair Greg Sampson indicated that negotiations committee has been working with the para-educators to reach an agreement. The board committee supported a slightly different structure but the para-educators advocated for retaining the current structure.
10.9. Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to approve a teaching contract.
Action(s):
I move to approve a teaching contract for Douglas Hart as a family consumer science teacher with initial placement as appropriate on the salary schedule as presented. Passed with a motion by Matt O'Daniel and a second by Greg Sampson.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Absent
  • Shanon Willmott: Absent
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
10.10. Discuss, consider, and take necessary action to approve a quote to replace roof section 17 at a cost of $131,170.
Action(s):
I move to approve replacing roof section 17 as presented. Passed with a motion by Greg Sampson and a second by Teri O'Flaherty.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Yea
  • Luanne Sundberg: Absent
  • Shanon Willmott: Absent
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
Discussion:  Mrs. Johnson shared that Roof section 17 is the largest single section of roof on our buildings. McKinnis evaluated and identified roofs with greatest concerns. Roof 14 would be the next section to replace. Payment for roof 17 will be from depreciation.
11. EXECUTIVE SESSION
Rationale: 

The Arlington Board of Education reserves the right to go into Closed/Executive Session at any time in accordance with Section 84-1410. A copy of the Open Meetings Act is posted in the board room for review by the public.

12. ACTION ON EXECUTIVE SESSION ITEMS
13. ADJOURNMENT
Discussion:  No more business Adjourned 8:55.
<< Back to the Public Page for Arlington Public Schools