Public Meeting Minutes: November 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting

Download

View Options:

Show Everything
Hide Everything

November 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting Minutes

November 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting
1. OPENING PROCEDURES
Rationale: 

COPY OF OPEN MEETINGS ACT: The Board of Education makes available at least one current copy of the Open Meetings Act posted in the meeting room at a location accessible to members of the public. The Act is posted on the south wall of the meeting room.

ORDER OF AGENDA ITEMS: The Arlington Board of Education reserves the right to adjust the order of items on this agenda.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO SPEAK DURING PUBLIC FORUM: 

Getting Started: When it is your turn to speak during the public forum portion of the agenda, please come forward, sign your name and address on the sign-in sheet and state your name to the Board of Education. 

Time Limit: You may speak only one time and must limit comments to 5 minutes or less.  

Personnel or Student Topic: If you are planning to speak about a personnel or student matter involving an individual, please understand that our policies require that such concerns initially be directed to the administration for consideration. Board members will generally not respond to any questions you ask or comments you make about individual staff members or students. You are cautioned that slanderous comments are not protected just because they are made at a board meeting.  

General Rules: Please remember that this is a meeting of the Board of Education held in public for conducting the business of the Board of Education. Offensive language, personal attacks and hostile conduct will not be tolerated.

1.1. Call Meeting to Order
Discussion:  Meeting opened at 7:00
1.2. Roll Call
1.3. Pledge of Allegiance
1.4. Approval of Regular Meeting Agenda
Rationale: 

 

Action(s):
Motion to approve the regular meeting agenda as presented Passed with a motion by Matt O'Daniel and a second by Shanon Willmott.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Absent
  • Luanne Sundberg: Yea
  • Shanon Willmott: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
2. WELCOME TO GUESTS AND PUBLIC FORUM
3. CONSENT AGENDA
Action(s):
Motion to approve the consent agenda as presented Passed with a motion by Teri O'Flaherty and a second by Shanon Willmott.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Absent
  • Luanne Sundberg: Yea
  • Shanon Willmott: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
3.1. Minutes of the Previous Board Meeting(s)
3.2. Monthly Financial Reports
3.3. Claims (Check Register)
3.4. Special Fund Transfers
Rationale: 

Employee Benefit Fund for the purpose of paying health/dental insurance premiums.  $7,404.05

Depreciation Fund to McKinnis Roofing for the purpose of paying the final payment for roof repairs.             $67,359.00

Building Fund to Washington Co. Treasurer for repayment of tax dollars received in error.  $6,104.01

Bond Fund to Union Bank for December bond payment ($225,000 principal/$102,938.75 interest).               $327,938.75

 

3.5. Hot Lunch Report
3.6. Activity Report
4. CURRICULUM/INSTRUCTION REPORTS
4.1. Technology Report
Discussion:  sanders addressed Board below 1-1 ratio. 10 25 station carts available. 18 station card & 4 in elementary. Added I-pad mini cart. Used on daily basis. Still usig I-pad mini cart K-2nd grde still getting up to speed. Still have K-6 2 desk tops 2 laptops and 2 i-pads. During summer all up to 4 gig and everyone Windows 7. Microsoft changing pricing so now deal to pay for 70 licenses for $1700 and can put on every machine in building. Each staff member get 10 licenses for themselves. Updates everyone and will be done before Christmas. Classroom projectors in 13 rooms. K-4/media center/science lab. Phase one. 3 phases and will have entire buildig done. Used Charlie Parr memorial money for more. Purchased access points for 6 for $100. e-rate funds to replace all with higher speed. $150 per student, maybe will get it. Webinar signed up for got a free miracy absence point. Put in gym. Guest access point but doesn't use our network. Dave & Sanders took down TV's before fell and got an adaptor to plug in and put on projector. Jump from windows 7 to 10. Last year of 3 year rotation. Will replace this summer. Keep looking at carts and labs where it fits in to curriculum plan. MD. Icredible job. Community engagement conversations ask about technology. Asked about licenses and number of people allowed. Unlimited. Continue to look at 1-1? KS. Sat in meeting in Grand Island webinar and now going back from I-pads to lap tops. Talk about broken I-pad screens. Wear and tear from back pack and out and home. Some advantages to 1-1. Take home flip and discuss next day in class. I-pads $1 buy out. Other machines will probably go back.
5. REVIEW OF ANNUAL DISTRICT PLAN
Discussion:  MD. Opportunity to review plan set at retreat. Check progress and alignment 1.3 evaluate safety measures. What can we add to summer? Coalition meetings we've had. SRP protocol. Looked at safety guards. Supervisio on N & s side. Buildings and grounds said look at safety on FB field, bleaher safety. No issues there. Insure and review policies. Have done that. Done per chanbe in sate statutes. Safety committe reports annually. MD. Do in December or January. SW. Who reviews annually? LYnn Fred Carrit. Maybe we will have someone else do it. Maybe a safety audit. Retired Superintendents sometimes do it. MO - Maybe Greg would know someone. MD. Emergency management director does come up and look at things. Lynn - Let me know if you have any one to do it. 1.4 In year 4 of 5 year cycle. L. Gubbels & MANKA MEET monthly with Lyn. Cnotinuously working action plans. Updates with TLC. Intend to sent more to Minneapolis this year. 2.0 next month.
6. PRINCIPALS’ REPORTS
Discussion:  Farber - Veterans day program tomorrow at 9:00 main gym. Please come. Thanksgiving Holiday meal will be done by FCS/Hart. Tuesday Nove 25th. 11:00 AM start. Copy of MCC Hansen and updated. Dual credit for practicum. Therapeautic services will be taught in house. Nursing assistant taught thourgh Metro $269. Clinicals through that. Work through FAMC to get that done. CNA program is in place. Welding technology learned a lot. Go to Fremont to see program. Fremot program is full. Weeknights and weekend. Pay .50 credit. 5 classes over a semester. 1/5 of an associates degree in welding. The get Fremont industrial certificate. Valmont will look at students who go through the program. Grant updated them to industry standards. Metro credit through Fremont nights and weekends. Fremont may add or other districts. Financing is the issue. Work out so it could be on TEEOSA formula. MD - How make sure they are dual credit classes for our kids. AF - Teacher has to be certified. 7:30 PM. Koger - Offering of dual credit not a big issue. Lyn - sometimes it does come into play. Fremomt would like to expand it but need to work with NDE to make that happen. BS - asked about welding situation. Lynn - Currently only have wire feed welders. Just the basics. AF - FFA working with Cedar Bluffs coop and jsut a few students interested. BS - Advanced welding through METRO or just basics? Maybe just basics before jump in and pursue as a career. Brenn would be teaching it and small engines also. Student - Grateful I can take the dual credit courses. I'm almost done with my first year of college. Fritson - 7:40 Mixed feed back with PTC. 6th grade arents appreciated the imeliness. Students gave presentation about what they've learned in class. sudent led. Reflected on what we can do next. Set up conferences prior to PTC. Erin Reed did entire process and implementation. Good turn out. Kicked off fundaiser. great american opportunities to bring in guest speakers. Stunt shows. Presentation from Stebe Fster and kids are excited. Proceeds will help us bring in outside presentations and groups. Thanks SR's for speaking wiyth students during red ribbon week. gret message for kids. Shada -7:45 PLC meeting at secondary individually checking pace with what they are learning. Cross linin across different grade levels and different standards. Checking progress. Spreadsheet of revenue report. Breakdown of Fall sports revenues.
7. SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT
Discussion:  Enrollment figures. Option enrolment. Need to educatio public on that. Option up by 20 kids. State conference. Mike Terry and Lynn. Hand out. A Questt loaded. New model DEPT of Ed proposing to get ranked and rated. Encourage to attend a session on it.
7.1. Enrollment Figures
7.2. STATE EDUCATION CONFERENCE: November 19-21, 2014, LaVista Embassy Suites
7.3. A QuESTT for Nebraska
8. COMMITTEE AND REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS
8.1. Americanism/Education Evaluation
8.2. Buildings and Grounds Committee
Discussion:  Dec 1 to Dec 5 to do interviews for the committee. LS - Wait. Lynn - andle through e-mails. Committee
8.3. Finance Committee
Discussion:  Creative ways to fiance major buildig projects. Which coes first. BLDS identify or do we tell BLDS? Looked at number of recources. Undertaking fund. Look at.
8.4. Negotiations Committee
Discussion:  Met Oct 28 with reps from aEA and exchanged items to put on table and will meet tomorrow.
8.5. NASB Legislative Representative
Discussion:  MD - Will meet gwice. Friday at state convention then after that. Nov 25/26. Significant cage in way LIncoln does different good or bad.
8.6. Professional Development Sharing
9. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
9.1. Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to approve Policy 9320 Order of Business on second reading.
Action(s):
Motion to approve Policy 9320 Order of Business on second reading Passed with a motion by Shanon Willmott and a second by Teri O'Flaherty.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Absent
  • Luanne Sundberg: Yea
  • Shanon Willmott: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
9.2. Discuss and Consider the next steps of the Community Engagement Discussion Process.
Rationale:  Marcia will:
1. compile a summary of the data collected at the November 5 Community Engagement Meeting

2. present and/or forward the report for the board’s review and discussion

3. collaboratively (board/administration) will identify how they wish to proceed utilizing the data collected (multiple options and again I will make myself available to discuss this further with the board and can provide examples of what has occurred in other districts).

4. facilitate follow-up meetings and/or discussion to define the next steps for Arlington!  No additional fee for this only travel expenses involved
Discussion:  Compile summary and then schedule time with Marcia to go overand go over board goals. 1 board retreat if she had info in hands before that.Developing goals would be extra. Board should discuss payig additional fee to establish goals. Marsha facilitate goal planning session? Come back in December and review for no more fees. Just with Board in open session. Don't book for goals yet. Wait on that. Might have a specil board meeting. Dec 8th? Could still use Janary meeting with thoght board retreat will be in February. Probably dec 8th meeting or Jan 12th. NO interest in a third meeting.
9.3. Discuss and Consider Superintendent Evaluation
Rationale:  1. Review the rating scale to ensure clarity.
2. Provide President Dwyer with completed evaluation by Monday, December 1 at 4:30 p.m.
3. President Dwyer will begin formulating summary document.
4. Summary comments will be developed collaboratively.
Discussion:  1. Review the rating scale to ensure clarity. 2. Provide President Dwyer with completed evaluation by Monday, December 1 at 4:30 p.m. 3. President Dwyer will begin formulating summary document. 4. Summary comments will be developed collaboratively. Use entire scale. Defined points to be measurable within that scale.
10. NEW BUSINESS
10.1. Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to a resolution authorizing the superintendent to sign Supplemental Agreement #1 to the Program Agreement with NDOR pertaining to the Safe Routes Project.
Action(s):
Motion to approve the resolution which authorizes the superintendent to sign Supplemental Agreement #1 to the Program Agreement NDr. Passed with a motion by Micheal Dwyer and a second by Matt O'Daniel.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Absent
  • Luanne Sundberg: Yea
  • Shanon Willmott: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
10.2. Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to approve Supplemental Agreement #3 to identify a new responsible charge for the Safe Routes Project.
Action(s):
Motion to approve a resolution that authorizes superintendent to sign Supplemental Agreement No. 3 which amends original agreement between Arlington Public Schools and Civil Solutions, LLC. to identify the State as the new responsible charge for the Safe Routes Project. Passed with a motion by Micheal Dwyer and a second by Teri O'Flaherty.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Absent
  • Luanne Sundberg: Yea
  • Shanon Willmott: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
10.3. Discuss, Consider and Take Necessary Action to hire a substitute bus driver.
Action(s):
Motion to hire Craig Tarr as a substitute bus driver Passed with a motion by Matt O'Daniel and a second by Shanon Willmott.
  • Micheal Dwyer: Yea
  • Matt O'Daniel: Yea
  • Teri O'Flaherty: Yea
  • Greg Sampson: Absent
  • Luanne Sundberg: Yea
  • Shanon Willmott: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
10.4. Discuss, Consider and Review the district’s annual report.
Discussion:  Saw as community engagement. On website. Changed to tis format from a 5 page format 2 years ago. Only 1 piece couldt update because not released yet.
10.5. Discuss, Consider and Review Policies 1000-1120.
Discussion:  Part of annual 3 year cycle. Nothing I saw to change. No recommendations. LS - tobacco 1120 policy consistent with what we did before. No concerns reviewed and move to next group.
10.6. Discuss and Consider the action steps to address AYP results.
Rationale: 

Checklist for Year 1:

Notice to Parents/Guardians
School Improvement Plan
Technical Assistance (to develop and implement the school improvement plan)
Public School Choice (does not apply to us)
Publication of Actions (does not apply to us)
Notice to Public (via newsletter)
 
Discussion:  Checklist for Year 1 Notice to Parents/Guardians School Improvement Plan Technical Assistance (to develop and implement the school improvement plan) Public School Choice (does not apply to us) Publication of Actions (does not apply to us) Notice to Public (via newsletter) Checklist we have to do first year. Capture in minutes.
11. EXECUTIVE SESSION
Rationale: 

The Arlington Board of Education reserves the right to go into Closed/Executive Session at any time in accordance with Section 84-1410. A copy of the Open Meetings Act is posted in the board room for review by the public.

12. ACTION ON EXECUTIVE SESSION ITEMS
13. ADJOURNMENT
Discussion:  Adjouned at 8:15 PM
<< Back to the Public Page for Arlington Public Schools