skip to main content
 
Download

View Options:

Show Everything
Hide Everything

February 13, 2017 at 7:30 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting

Minutes
I. CALL TO ORDER FOR REGULAR MEETING
Discussion:  Meeting called to order at 7:38 PM
I.1. Pledge to the Flag
I.2. Roll Call
I.3. Notification of Open Meetings Law Posting
I.4. Recognition of Recording
II. CONSENT AGENDA
Action(s):
Approval for Consent Agenda Passed with a motion by Dave Sherrod and a second by Dr. Cynthia Guerue.
  • Mr. Dick Burford: Yea
  • Dr. Cynthia Guerue: Yea
  • Jim Hessler: Yea
  • Dave Sherrod: Yea
  • Billy Stauffer: Yea
  • Art Steiner: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
II.1. Approval of Agenda
II.2. Approval of minutes
II.3. Approval to Pay Claims and file financial reports
II.3.a. working Monthly Budget
II.3.b. Monthly Budget of Receipts
II.3.c. Activity Accounts
II.3.d. County Treasurers' Reports
III. RECOGNITION OF VISITORS
Discussion:  Gerald Ritz spoke  briefly asking for an update on old trophies and told the Board that there may be some interest in buying trophies that would not be displayed.  The Buildings and Grounds committee has not yet met to address that issue.

IV. REPORTS
IV.1. Technology Innovation Reports from Teachers
Discussion:  No Report
IV.2. Village of Morrill
Discussion:  No Report
IV.3. Student Council-
Discussion:  No Report
IV.4. Curriculum/Americanism: Burford (Chairman), Sherrod, Guerue
Discussion:  No Report
IV.5. Building/Grounds/Transportation: Sherrod (Chairman), Stauffer, Steiner
Discussion:  No Report
IV.6. Finance: Hessler, Guerue, Stauffer
Discussion:  No Report
IV.7. Staff Relations: Burford, Hessler, Sherrod
Discussion:  No Report
IV.8. Morrill School's Foundation: Stauffer, Steiner
Discussion:  Mr. Sherwood presented a request that the Foundation consider paying part or all of the cost to purchase Elementary Library Books and suggested that there be an organizational meeting.
IV.9. Technology Report
Discussion:  Cary presented her report-see attached.  MAPS testing has gone very well this first year on line.  She reported that there are lots of fun and interactive projects happening in the elementary classes. She demonstrated what the 8th grade safety class was doing on the internet. 
IV.10. Activity Report
Discussion: 

Josh Guerue reported that the Student Council purchased flowers and cookies for Valentines Day and that they would sponsor a Jr. High dance the second week in March.  He discussed issues with Creek Valley changing to a 6 man team and is working with NSAA to work out those issues.  Josh thanked Kamie Rhodes for doing an excellent job with the concessions and told the Board that Marvel Cole has been a "huge asset".  Guerue also thanked Dawson Jacobs  for all of his help adding, "He is a great young man."  He further thanked the Booster Club citing Brandi Malone, Traci McMacken and Sara Hessler for their help with Parents' night.  Thanks to Candace Muhr for her help with the hospitality room and Adam Janzi for his assistance during the Jr. High Basketball Tournament.  He thanked the Village of Morrill for arranging the Fire and Police Dept. escort for the Wrestling send off. He also thanked Keri Homan for allowing the elementary students to participate in the send off.  He told the Board that Logoz will redo the new scorers' table and end mats as a donation.  Finally, Guerue informed the Board that Adam Janzi had attended a track clinic in Arizona and is now certified with the USTAF.





IV.11. Secondary Principal's Report
Discussion:  Tom reviewed his report-see attached.  He talked about the safety/security software.  Discussed Todd Becker and Marcia Tate commenting that they were both well received and "powerful" adding that he had noticed that teachers immediately implemented some of Marcia Tate's suggestions.  Tom talked about MAPS testing in the high school with web based testing adding that the  ACT prep test will be held in March.  
IV.12. Elementary Principal's Report
Discussion:  Keri reviewed the Pre School and elementary reports-see attached
IV.13. Superintendent's Report
Discussion:  Superintendent Sherwood elaborated on his report-see attached
V. NEW BUSINESS
V.1. Consider/possibly approve resignations/retirements of staff members
Action(s):
Approval to accept resignation of Georgiann Harris Passed with a motion by Dr. Cynthia Guerue and a second by Billy Stauffer.
  • Mr. Dick Burford: Yea
  • Dr. Cynthia Guerue: Yea
  • Jim Hessler: Yea
  • Dave Sherrod: Yea
  • Billy Stauffer: Yea
  • Art Steiner: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
Discussion:  Joe Sherwood presented a resignation letter from Georgiann Harris.  The Board accepted her resignation and thanked her for her service.
V.2. Approve Signature cards for accounts at Platte Valley Bank
Action(s):
Approval of James Hessler, Billy Stauffer and Cynthia Guerue as signers for the General Fund, QCPUF Hazardous Material Fund, Depreciation Fund, Building Fund and Regional Care Fund accounts Passed with a motion by Dr. Cynthia Guerue and a second by Mr. Dick Burford.
  • Mr. Dick Burford: Yea
  • Dr. Cynthia Guerue: Yea
  • Jim Hessler: Yea
  • Dave Sherrod: Yea
  • Billy Stauffer: Yea
  • Art Steiner: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
V.3. Consider/possibly approve new checking account for Special Building Fund
Action(s):
Approval to open a regular checking account for the Special Building Fund Passed with a motion by Dr. Cynthia Guerue and a second by Dave Sherrod.
  • Mr. Dick Burford: Yea
  • Dr. Cynthia Guerue: Yea
  • Jim Hessler: Yea
  • Dave Sherrod: Yea
  • Billy Stauffer: Yea
  • Art Steiner: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
V.4. Consider/possibly approve bid options from Lee French for Bleacher Project
Action(s):
Approval to accept a bid for up to $25,500.00 out of the Depreciation fund for Lee French to remove and reinstall newly purchased bleachers Passed with a motion by Dr. Cynthia Guerue and a second by Mr. Dick Burford.
  • Mr. Dick Burford: Yea
  • Dr. Cynthia Guerue: Yea
  • Jim Hessler: Yea
  • Dave Sherrod: Yea
  • Billy Stauffer: Yea
  • Art Steiner: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
Discussion: 

Joe gave the Board a copy of bid proposals from Lee French and explained that bid sheet.  He is willing to start on Monday February 20. Joe also detailed the process of removing and reinstalling the bleachers that have just been purchased.  A maximum of $24,000 more probably less than that plus $1,000.00 for a starter.  Sherwood recommended to accept the bid to insure that the bleachers are taken down and put together properly by someone who has experience.


V.5. Consider method of disposal of the old gym bleacher sets
Action(s):
Approval to donate the old bleachers to the Fair Board with any not taken to be stripped down for shop projects. Passed with a motion by Billy Stauffer and a second by Dr. Cynthia Guerue.
  • Mr. Dick Burford: Yea
  • Dr. Cynthia Guerue: Yea
  • Jim Hessler: Yea
  • Dave Sherrod: Yea
  • Billy Stauffer: Yea
  • Art Steiner: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
Discussion:  Mr. Sherwood told the Board that he had visited with Lana Hubbard (fair board) regarding the old bleachers and she indicated that they would be interested in taking bleachers but would decide how many they would take after looking at them.  Joe said he thought that having the fair board take them would be good for the community and donating to the fair would also save tax payers money. He added any bleachers that aren't taken could be torn down to the wood and used in shop class.
V.6. Hear Presentation from Adam Jantze concerning Weight Lifting Program Progress
Discussion: 

Adam Janzi gave a presentation to the Board detailing the Weight Lifting Program-See Attached

Adam showed the Board "Team Builder" program and went through the program in detail.  He explained the program and showed examples.  He told the Board that, "this is the best program I've ever used".

Janzi then reviewed the weight training program progress as of February 2017 concluding that the program has already resulted in significant improvements in strength and speed.  He anticipates continued improvement as time goes by.


VI. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
VI.1. Consider 2nd Reading/Adoption for changes to 0102 Educational Philosophy of the School District
Action(s):
Approval to adopt changes to policy 0102 upon second reading Passed with a motion by Dr. Cynthia Guerue and a second by Dave Sherrod.
  • Mr. Dick Burford: Yea
  • Dr. Cynthia Guerue: Yea
  • Jim Hessler: Yea
  • Dave Sherrod: Yea
  • Billy Stauffer: Yea
  • Art Steiner: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
VI.2. Consider/possibly approve teacher evaluation form changes for technology integration
Action(s):
Decision to table until further discussion with curriculum committee Passed with a motion by Dr. Cynthia Guerue and a second by Art Steiner.
  • Mr. Dick Burford: Yea
  • Dr. Cynthia Guerue: Yea
  • Jim Hessler: Yea
  • Dave Sherrod: Yea
  • Billy Stauffer: Yea
  • Art Steiner: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
Discussion:  Board reviewed the new evaluation form as Mr. Sherwood explained the new form to the Board.  The Principals are comfortable with the new form.  Mrs. Homan told the Board that they used the best parts of both  forms that were reviewed.  Mr. Sherwood said that these changes would not be effective until next year and told them that they could take the time to review the proposed document and that they could postpone action until a later date. 
VI.3. Update on building projects
Discussion: 

Joe updated the Board on the Building Projects:

Elementary Boys Bathroom and is "significantly started" and the Girls Bathroom has not been started.

The wrestling room is being used.

Making good progress on the Early Childhood Building.  Informed the Board that there had been a change order because the builder had omitted two walls.  As of this meeting there was no cost estimate for the changes but Mr. Sherwood thought that any cost would be minimal.

 

 

 



VI.4. Discuss and possibly approve (possible Executive Session) collective bargaining topics for the 2017-18 school year
Action(s):
Approval to go into Executive Session to discuss Collective Bargaining at 11:10 PM Passed with a motion by Dr. Cynthia Guerue and a second by Dave Sherrod.
  • Mr. Dick Burford: Yea
  • Dr. Cynthia Guerue: Yea
  • Jim Hessler: Yea
  • Dave Sherrod: Yea
  • Billy Stauffer: Yea
  • Art Steiner: Yea
No Action(s) have been added to this Agenda Item.
Discussion:  The Board went into Executive Session at 11:10 PM to discuss collective bargaining and came out of executive session at 12:25 AM with no action taken
VII. Next Regular Meeting Date
Discussion:  The Board went into Executive Session at 11:10 PM to discuss collective bargaining and came out of executive session at 12:25 PM with no action taken.
VII.1. March 13, 2017 at 7:30 pm
VIII. ADJOURNMENT
Discussion:  The Meeting was adjourned at 12:26 AM

<< Back to the Public Page for Morrill Public Schools