Public Meeting Minutes: July 11, 2011 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting

Download

View Options:

Show Everything
Hide Everything

July 11, 2011 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting Minutes

July 11, 2011 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting
1. Call to Order
2. Pledge of Allegiance & Roll Call
3. Open Meeting Notice of Posted Law The Board of Education makes available at least one copy of the Open Meetings Act, which is posted on the west wall of the meeting room and accessible to members of the public.
4. Consent Agenda
4.1. Approval of the agenda as submitted
4.2. Approval of the minutes of the June 13, 2011 regular Board of Education meeting and the minutes of the June 23, 2011 special Board of Education meeting.
4.3. Approval of the proposed accounts for payment
4.4. Approval of budgetary receipts and expenditures
4.5. Approval of the committee minutes of the Committee of the Whole
4.6. Approval of choice request - From Tri County - Jacob Wagner - Gr. 10 - To Lewiston - Emily Furrell - Gr. K - To Freeman - Jacob Serie - Gr. 10 - To Johnson County Central - Kai Colgrove - Gr. 3 and Aleah Sipley - Gr. 9
4.7. Approval of hiring staff-Middle School-Maggie Keiser-Language Arts - Aaron Callaway - Math - High School - Caitlin Christensen - SPED - Paddock Lane - Brenda Broughton - Title I
4.8. Approval of resignation of Robert McClelland - Energy Manager/Educator
5. Information
Discussion:  Blue Vally Partnership with school - Melissa Carper winner Mrs. Homestead Days. Lisa particiaptaed. Admim Retreat on July 27th beginning of ramping up for teachers. Augu 2-5 Admin Days then new teachers will arrive. Aug 16 kids are here. Invite Bd member on August 11 to lunch, recognitions and state of school report. Let me know. EIFS - Asked John B. to update the board. Attended a biweekly meeting. Clark Ennderson, Rogge Construction and Plaster Company, Terry and Jason. Certain parts of finish materalial is flaking off by using your finger. This should be hard like cement. Discovered as part of process taking of soilder course brick. There are no expansion joint in EIFS at all. This should be at each brick. EIFS is bowing and cracking because of this. The adhesive not put on correctly as to specifications. possible issues. Two things have happened - not apply right held water and not enough pressure so it did not adhhere. The mesh was not wraped correctly. Over the next couple of days Rogge and plaster will be in contact to solve these projects with artechet. Will look into possible recourse 12 years ago when done wrong
5.1. Superintendent Report
Speaker(s):  Dr. Lopez
6. Committee Reports
Discussion:  Comments from Scott Knispled - Insurance Co. Construction Update Update of Site Base Planning - Summer Back to School Teacher Staff Development
6.1. Committee of the Whole
Speaker(s):  Randy Coleman
7. Public Forum
Discussion:  None
8. Action
8.1. Approval of participation in Network Nebraska
Discussion:  Randy/Steve Summer addressed the board - Network Ne is an expansion of what we have been particiapateind in Distance Learning. This is a more schools involved to be able to take coruses at all levels from all schools accros the state. We do not offer ag courses and this would be offered. Some course are free, but some have courses. Joining crate more opportunties and to be able to continue distance learning 3-5 and 6 will receive science classes. Dual credit and college credits - Classes like medical terminology. ESU5 will offer Chinese language. Vitural field trips nation wide. Expands staff development for staff using this.
8.2. Approval of Interlocal Cooperation Act Agreement with the City of Beatrice for a School Resource Officer
Discussion:  Randy/Steve Same agreement between city;/school 3 year agreement. Cost split 50-50 Officer Rowlizixe
8.3. Approval of the resolution to particpate in the NASB Medicare Consortium
Discussion:  Randy/Amend care to caid - Steve We work with familes that receive meicaid this will help with paper/worrk, record keeping. Federal program allows us to participated with not haveing to use lots of our time for recordkeeping. John Brazell. Brings in over 200,000 per year
8.4. Approval of Classifed Salary Schedule
Discussion:  Randy/Steve amden 13.1 not 3.13 .20 cent increase on base
8.5. Approval of Administrators Salaries
Discussion:  randy/steve Total package includes salary,insurance, retirement and this is a total package. Do all get this - Jim. John Brazell up to Director of Student Services. 8% totoal - Vote no Jim. Heartburn old leave new get as much more. Hard time with this an 8% playing catch up knew what it pays and deserve the same. Doris - will not vote know. Productive year and the staff is doing well. 8% raise is too much. All types of staff are important as the others one postions is no1 140%. NO Monte - echo the others. He had no say in Lopez and hired Brazell lower to make up difference just a problem with percentage. Steve - Admin salarie and teacher salary are market driven. These are hired this way. Maybe CIR will change this. This is how they are driven keep all in the market area. Mid teier
8.6. Approval of the contract for the Outdoor Multi-Purpose Facility
Discussion:  Randy/Steve Sign agreement Casper and School to sign tonight to complete construction. Guarn Pice 2 mill 1.9 Mil for project of substianl completion on later than April 1 and final May 1st. We will be able to begin construction. One more detail before start locking in number of seats in home section will looks ast using only ones in visitor section and this would be a saving. This holds up grading. August 1 hope to be start date. Doris - Will still have Ap seats? Yes we will keep one set of bleachers. Jim - Penyly costs for not completing. Yes Jon AP what will use - we will play football this year ms pe and middle school use. Will not be a competiton feidl once statidum it built. Monte - any cuts from new. Everything in just trying to increase seating on home side. Change orders are made by us by saving in some place else. We will not exceed 2 mill bills along the way. Fund raising - have a few donations and have a good start Foundation Stire Group to fund raise. Will sign tomarrow. The Stire Group will fund rais 1.5 mill good start. Pinnalce bank to scoreboard. Phone company to do study to put up tower would pay an annual fee for use of light towers. We have been working to get the note that we will budget for over years. Randy - MS track and field how will we do this. Do not have an answer, but assume practice at the new site. Concern about travel. Jason will have to look at all of the activities not at this point but will need answers
8.7. 1st Reading AR 5575 Student Fees and Material Requirements
Discussion:  John Brazell Changing fees - 50 activity fee to 53 LEdition - 300.00 to 400 Forenches - 20 to 23 Cam-p 230 to 200 Changes we hnad beendoin
9. Notification of Next Meeting
10. Executive Session
10.1. Regarding land litigation necessary for the protection of public interest
10.2. To discuss teacher negotiations for the protection of public interest.
11. Adjournment
<< Back to the Public Page for Beatrice Public Schools