Public Meeting Agenda: May 26, 2011 at 7:00 PM - Committee of the Whole - May 26, 2011

Download

View Options:

Show Everything
Hide Everything

May 26, 2011 at 7:00 PM - Committee of the Whole - May 26, 2011 Agenda

May 26, 2011 at 7:00 PM - Committee of the Whole - May 26, 2011
1. Public Comments on Agenda Items - This is the proper time for public questions and comments on agenda items only. Please make sure a request form is given to the Board Vice-President before the meeting begins.
Speaker(s):  Randy Coleman
Discussion:  Randy called the Committee of the Whole to order at 7:00 PM. He then informed the public that now was the time for any comments on agenda items. Randy asked that before speaking that they fill ou the form that was provided. Seeing none he asked Dr. Thompson to address the committee about the Safety Plan Review.
2. Safety Plan Review
Speaker(s):  Dr. Thompson
Discussion:  Dr. Thompson Safety Review. Small number of changes due to so many changes last year. Mostly name changes. New Section Safety Restrain/Seclusion. Contains 3 documents. 1st document is the procedures. She reviewed the procedures. Contains examples and definitions and reference another document BPS Safety Procedures Regarding Restraint and Seclusion 3rd Document - Names of interventionists. This section is being adding by recomendation by the to state.
3. Student Handbooks 2011/2012
Speaker(s):  Principals
Discussion:  MS Handbooks - Eligibility Changes must be inrolled in at least four courses in a sememster for Honor Roll, Restraint and Seclusion Statement, Policy 1320. Revised testing list. Elementary - Betty - Added Medical Information Form filled out by parents and signed. This was requested by school nurse. Add New Mission and Beliefs Statements. Safety and restraint & seclustion, update testing list.
4. Textbook Acquisition
Speaker(s):  Dr. Stephens
Discussion:  K-5 Math adoption . Will recommendation Pearson EnvisionMATH at at cost of $115,000.00. Will use the same procedures that were used for the reading adoption. (See Handout) Reviewed four textbooks. Feedback collected, narrowed down to top 3. Representatives gave presentations to all K-5 who wanted to intend. Review handout h-i. Will have training during the summer in July and August followed by October training and spring training. Two companies were very close.
5. Construction Update
Speaker(s):  John Brazell
Discussion:  Construction Update John - MS roof all materials delivered and started today. PL SPED Wing Remodel - it is all demo out. Lay out stud wall and completed all underground plumbing is done. Minor changes and that is normal on target. Portable Building - Footing next week weather delayed the start. Utilities are planned and ready for hook up. Need cost from moving company in order to get permit Rogge Cons HS - 4 companies bid. John shared bids of the four companies. Will be starting real soon. Brick by classroom Multipurpose Proposals due Friday. One company dropped out will only have 3. We will have interviews on June 1st. Possible special meeting on June 6 or 7 at 6:00 PM.
6. Behavior Infractions
Speaker(s):  Dr. Lopez
Discussion:  Behavior Infractions - Dr. Lopez We will bring this information annually. Cover attendance and other behaviors. This report will help us in planning for students and District behavior programs. Gives us good baseline data to see where the infractions are occurring. Most of the infractions are attendance at the HS level due to them manage themselves. When I look at physical fighting bullying our numbers are very low. Dress codes very few. We have well behaved students. How can have no tardy at MS? Only count late kids to school not to a class. Mr. Kruse shared they are reported under attendance not behavior. Cell Phones - Better since they can use before or after school and during lunch. Still a battle. Some teacher handle it each different to fit the student and their classroom.
7. Alternative Education
Speaker(s):  Dr. Lopez
Discussion:  Alternative Ed - Jon, Jami Jo, Update of what we are doing and the lease agreement for the USDA Building. 800 Square Feet in the building. Working on safety for students and it is different when kids are in buildings to meet laws. We have looked at several building in order to find a building that meet the laws. Will need an egress door and add a bath and fireproof wall or pulls for fire alarms. Jami - History of why we came to this decision to hold in our building. They have met several times to address our expecttions of the school. Grading, attendance and trancrips. Phase 1. Phase 2 upcoming graduation requirements. Whole semester of work in a week. PE were able to eaarn semester creidt for activities outside of school logged. Not enough rigor. Math at 8th grade SPED level 8 years ago. We let them know that we would expect the rigor. Never reported attendence only for a week by calling in as computer would not work. Express concern that currculum was to rigors and would cause drop outs. Offered to help. Expressed that they could not meet the requirements. Summer and Jami Jo offered various suggestions eve Oddeysware and participating in our PLC. She has worked very hard and is proud, but did not want to change to met ours. Then the instructor was retiring and the Superintendent would not meet our requirements. Offered to run it their, but the Superintendent did not think they (surrounding schools)could meet the rigor of the curriculum. At this point we started to develop our own currilulm, have teacher in place, facility and renovations, and furniture. Nesa and Rule 10 and 5520 will meet the curriculum standards. Our enrollment is down over the last years. As we develop this program we think the enrollment will go up. It will still have a work component. Morning and afternoon session we will have. We will have a work program, but will not be a requirement. We will have other opportunties. We will be able to take younger kids 9th grad. What would cost be - Same cost but have more students. 1 teacher, para oddysware 107,000. plus the lease $120,000. Who will observe this work session. Looking at possible using the HS career work have 16 and would like to double. Doris thinks we will spend more that ESU and I am very uncomfortable not being a part of the ESU. Needs to rigors and the curriculum needs to be real. This is a fine line. Steve - Graduates for ESU you mean that child got same diploma as mine - Compared to daycare. WE\e will take care of our kids first, but we could offer to other schools. Most at risk kids have social issures not academic issures so if we don't provide the rigors curriculum we are doing a disservice to kids. Jim the first year those exposed to old, possible higher drop out. This is a possibility, but Dr. Lopez shared their will be a shock. Must be attentive and set expectations to the kids and encourage them that they can do this. Randy the Alternative School serves a very good purpose. I hope it will grow lots of kids need it.
8. Public Comments - This is the proper time for public questions and comments on any topic. Please make sure a request form is given to the Board Vice-President before the meeting begins.
Speaker(s):  Randy Coleman
Discussion:  None Meeting closed 8:10 PM.
<< Back to the Public Page for Beatrice Public Schools