Public Meeting Agenda: August 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting

Download

View Options:

Show Everything
Hide Everything

August 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting Agenda

August 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM - Board of Education Regular Meeting
1. Call to Order
2. Pledge of Allegiance & Roll Call
3. Consent Agenda
3.1. Approval of the agenda as submitted
3.2. Approval of minutes of the Special Hearing, July 9, 2012,and the minutes of the regular meeting, July 9, 2012.
3.3. Approval of the proposed accounts for payment
3.4. Approval of budgetary receipts and expenditures
3.5. Approval of Option Enrollments
4. Information
4.1. Superintendent Report
Speaker(s):  Dr. Lopez
Discussion:  Building gearing up for start. New teafche4r here Tuesday 10 new All staff backe Cricical Issues writing begin training on social skills Aug 20 Welcome Back State of Schools at 9:00 food at 7:45 to 9:00 Aug 21 1/2 day no kindergarten do lunch all back on 22 Subsitutute program have program up and running preparing and recuriting 65-70 sub attended training expect about 20 more. Have hire personel to run the program. State of Ed ratified Plegde in all classes everyday. Working to get flags. Thanks to all for the preparation for the start. This is a busy time.
4.2. Community Recognition for Stadium Project
Speaker(s):  Dr. Lopez
Discussion:  Jon we have a good problem very many people excited about the stadium project. We have alot of interst in celebarating a once in a lifetime for some. Received info over the last few weeks so we want to share and discuss this so it is a successful event. Fall kick off this Friday of Fall Sports. Will add tghe dedication of the facility. Have a discussion with the Board as to what they want to do. What is planned what needs to be discussed and where we want to go. John into people to speak Crystal Meyer - Fall Kick of on Septemnber 17th. Booster Club Pres. This is an annual fundraiser for the club. During the kick off meeting did some brain storming. Kick off is the kids event and their time to celebrate. BQ 5-7 activities on the field. Promotion of Booster and Fine Arts. At 7:00 the Chamber will do a ribbon cutting. Kids involved in the ribbon cutting. 200 kids holding the ribbon. Community invited to join us a fun night. Free admision. Meal is $5.00. Will be the test run with the concession stand. Aug 24 1st home football game. Live broadcast KWBE and tailgate using Back Alley. Dave Eskra - Dedication Ceremony - Adhoc chairman of this committee to raise the funds. Hope he has please the Board by using the Build it Right Campain. We are about 200,000 to 250,000 short but are committed to getting is accomplished. With the facility open we should get more. Will be present at the Fall Kick off for donations. A community effort and community dedicaion. Choose September 14 due to weather as thought August would be too hot. Dedication will be done in good taste and done quickly. We would like to be it commerative. Will send post card to givers to save the date. Plan to send also a special inviation on September 1 with an agenda. Would like to do a commerative program that was done before. We will not efficice high or low donnoer. Pictures of the old field and new. Game against Blair. Do snipiteves during the game to keep attention. Looking for special guest and looking at firwork.s Also possible dedication of the new band uniforms. Doris-Thought to let community in free. This in not a decision for this Committe this is an admin/board decision. Dr. Lopez have given thought to this and other options. This does have a financial impact. Football and basketball gate receipts are the main revenue which is shared to help fund all the activiites. Looking at what we can do. Jim do they have input as to what we charge - NSCA has not input it is our choice. 2,500 at 5.00 is a loss of 12,500 - Steve. Can we afford to take the revenue from some place else. Doris - No away people allowed in free. Doris is looking at tickets to around town. Randy - have the dedication community to look at. Randy understands the athletic budget. Dori - District pay the athletic budget back. Mitch I think I have be a part of the fund raising. 1 mill raised is wow. The fundraising group fundraing and district have these discussions. Dr. Lopez could put this meeting together. Dave do not invite someone - need to work together so we do not miss anyone. Think about include passe in the September 1 letter. Please make sure ready to go for Beth sakes. Formal leter 1,2,3 September
4.3. September 14, 2012 Dedication Ceremony
Speaker(s):  John Brazell
Discussion:  May need to share some ideas at Aug 23 Committe of the Whole
4.4. Construction Update
Speaker(s):  John Brazell
Discussion:  John - Movement on EpHis the inspection on the materials has taken place and have provided a warranty just wainting that. Waitiong for punch list to be complete. Anchors on the wall wartty say acceptable, but we are not. Roof done install caps is all that is left. Progress on storage buiding with BVHA. working on plan that is managable. Rock florr, just shell and electricity. As funds become avail with would finhish Estimated at 40,000 bids out this week 30 x 90 3 overhead doors and 1 walk in door. Stadium - Jeff Emanual and Deean Caspers-Moon Site - Scorebord final mounting done. Will datroi does final connection with week. Bleachers the North uper have seats and planks South about 70%. Then put back kick and rails towards the end. Two stairs down to the field. One will be done by Friday. Will be doing site clean up. Irrigation will be august 27th. Will seed after september 1. Deean - Origninal structure will be complete by Friday as promised. Seal floors in concession andn restrooms. Some painting. Items not done waiting from response from Fire Marschll. Wants a fire wall on second floorWill not proceed until they have approve the plans. Local inspection this week for partial occupancy. Will not be able to uses the horizon decks on Friday. Please keep public off due to no handrails. This part will be about a week to complete the firewall/stairs and handrail.
4.5. Budget Development Update
Speaker(s):  John Brazell
Discussion:  Budget Hearing in September this will be more complete. This in preliminary information. September Cow meeting more information. This clift year the 1.2 mill state aid dip. Will dip into cash reserve to balance at about 500,000 this year. Upcoming years - State flat, Property value flat, enrollment is slowly declining. These are the largets things that determint our budet Used program budgeting again. This uses department heads. Reduced budget by about 400,000 this year. Reduced in these areas, textbooks, reduced the part that buildings used to replace or add additional. Major area was staff by not replacing some and hiring lower level. Upcoming 21.9 expedure at not more 21.4 in revune. will once again need to use up 500,000. After this year we will need to look at deeper cuts. Spending Authority - has been limited. What see in paper is our spending authority not what we will spend. We willo look at cuts before december this year.
4.6. Changes in Food Service Program
Speaker(s):  John Brazell
Discussion:  John/Peggy Johnson Federal government has made changes impact HS School 3/4 to friut or veg to 1 cup of eache have to take 3 of 5 offerings. Now 1 of 3 must be a fruit or vege in order to count. In past had minimums now have maximun. 2 meat allowances more or more than 2 grains will be charged more. Want parents to be aware of this. Food on salad bar will be prepacked in per portions so that kids will know this. Use parent protal to check food balances. Peggy -Planning of meals calorie maximun and minmus so it much more complex. Ecnourage to creat better health. Eating fruits and vegatable are being encouraged. Peggy will be meeting all levels to discuss the changes. Will have pamphlet to have staff go over with students.
5. Committee Reports - No Committee of the Whole meeting was held in July.
Discussion:  None
6. Public Forum
Discussion:  None
7. Action
7.1. Approve Policy 5120 Attendance
Speaker(s):  Dr. Thompson
8. Notification of Next Meeting
9. Executive Session
9.1. To discuss potential litigation necessary for the protection of public interest and or the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual and if such individual has not requested a public meeting.
10. Adjournment
<< Back to the Public Page for Beatrice Public Schools